Saturday, May 23, 2015

the experiments begin

A single layer of Washi Paper, coated with Konnyaku Starch, then free motion, machine stitched. You can see where the needle punctures the paper, but it still remains strong. I'm using rayon thread, and a size 12 embroidery needle (I think). Next I will stitch on my multi-layered paper bowl. BTW, another bowl is drying. Not washi this time, but instead a type of rice paper, tan coloured (it actually looks tea stained) with silver flecks on one side. Not as absorbant as the washi, but I'm hoping for some nice texture. it will certainly be pretty, but may not end up stitched.
Actually, the bowl count is now up by one, so two more drying. On the new bowl, I used some machine made Chinese Washi (that I purchased in a weak moment) and a few bits of my Brusho painted papers. The Brusho paper wasn't very absorbant (vellum, I think), so I'm not really sure about the outcome. I also have a layered flat piece, that includes more of the machine made Washi, sandwiched between two sheets of Gelli printed, deli paper. More about all of this in a couple of days!


Magpie's Mumblings said...

It's great fun to watch your experiments from afar. Paper isn't my 'thing' but I do like to see what can be done with it.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks MA! I didn't have much success, stitching on an actual bowl, so far, but I'll keep trying. But I have been beading on them. I'll probably post something on the weekend.