Friday, May 22, 2015
I've been on a quest to make a stitchable paper vessel, and now I have my answer. Konnyaku Starch! After my friend Cherryl, the queen of all things paper, gave me the solution, I wandered down to The Japanese Paper Place for one of their "Washi Wednesday" demos. To my surprise, the artist of the month was making vessels, very similar to the ones I've made in the past. Of course, I needed to add some of this starch to my stash (and we won't mention the paper I purchased)!!! Weeks passed, but I finally mixed up a batch, and was very pleased with the result. I didn't like stirring the mixture for 20-30 minutes, but the end result, of a smooth, clear, gell like paste, was worth it! I applied it to Washi paper, and after drying, it produced a strong, flexible, matte surface. Very pleasing to the eye and touch! Of course, the first thing I did, was try to bead on it. There is more surface tension than fabric, every needle mark shows, and you need to figure out how to hide the knots. But not really a problem. I've made three bowls so far. A large, small and teeny one. I've beaded on the teeny one, but then had to laugh! I had decided to bead on one side only, but when I set it back down, the bowl was so light, that it tipped right over. So I had to bead the other side. Something to think about!! A little plain right now, but they have huge potential! I made the large one, so that I could try machine stitch on it, and have also made a couple of flat pieces of washi, coated with the starch, to play with as well. I'll post again, after I finish experimenting.