Sunday, October 27, 2013

beads and a paper bowl

I'm developing an intuitive bead embroidery class, so thought that I could combine it with my totally neglected 2013 BJP series. I loved the process and the original intent, but life and work got in the way this year. Now that I've been gifted with more time (I'm no longer working), I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to dust off my original plan. I wanted to make 12 leaves of the same size and shape and turn them into a necklace. Well, now I've got a new plan! The necklace would have been weighty, just a bit distracting and impractical to wear. Now I'm more attracted to the idea of making different leaf shapes and turning them into individual pendants (that I'm more likely to wear). I'm not sure how many I will make, so will only commit to the last three of the 2013 series. I don't want to work backwards, so I say onwards and upwards!! The backing is Lacey's Stiff Stuff and the piece contains a lovely stone cabochon (some type of turquoise), a mix of beads, crystals and pearls, old jewelry findings, button, watch parts and a copper spring (that I wound myself on a very small knitting needle). This leaf is 1 1/2" wide and 3 1/2" long, so you can see that I could not go as wild as I like to with my embellishments. Stitches used are back , peyote, stacked, flower and bocce/boucle. I'm very happy to be back in the game again and cannot wait to start my second leaf. I have not had any journal type thoughts yet, but if I continue for a while, I'm sure that the leaves will start whispering.
Now on to the second part. I made another bowl a couple of weeks ago, but never got around to posting. It's made from Gelli Printed tissue paper, teabags (on the inside) and skeleton leaves (craft store ones). The tissue was too thin and left the bowl a little unstable, so I needed to strengthen it with varnish. I'm not sure that I like the shiny look, but I do like the bowl and love the marks that were made with the Gelli print. In addition, I find the colour scheme to be quite soothing.
The chicken is in the pot and the sun is shining. I think it's time to play for a while........

19 comments:

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

A few days ago I was wondering about your BJP... for 2013, but figured you didn't need any pressure... especially now that you have so much free time!! But I see, that you have picked it back up. The leaf is beautiful. What will you do with a fragile bowl?

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks Beth! I jkept ondering about the BJP too, but just couldn't commit. As for the bowl, it was all about experimenting. A couple of coats of Mod Pidge and one of gloss medium took care of the fragility!

Evanna said...

This is so gorgeous and it will make a stunning pendant it is lovely to have you back.

kaiteM said...

Colourful leaves that remind me of flowers and dried leaves looking like paper. All very imaginative and i agree very soothing and absorbing. Such a range of fantasy.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, Kaite! They're both very absorbing to make. Not really fantasy though, but I do admit to a bit of whimsey!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, Evanna! I'm glad to be back.

Linda Kittmer said...

Anne Marie, these are both beautiful. The shape for the BJP is lovely, but I especially love the soft neutrals in the bowl.

deanna7trees said...

just love your bowl. i'm planning to add some teabag paper to my next teacup. love the addition of the leaves.
and gorgeous bead.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks Linda and Deanna! I have another bowl drying on the counter as we speak. Check back in a couple of days for more photos. That is, if it works out!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I love the idea of wearing these, but also had a thought...what if....they were mounted on the wall...removeable so they could be worn....displayed on/with a tree branch. Don't know if my mind-idea is getting translated to your mind, but I hope so! As for the bowl - another gorgeous one! Definitely a piece of art.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

MA, thanks! The idea is great but I'm not sure that I have the wall space. It also depends on how many I actually finish and if I find the right piece of driftwood.

Sue said...

Gorgeous work - I love the bowl, and have to work my way backwards to see the first. (Just getting caught up on some blog reading!)

Mrs Pretzel said...

Your beadwork is amazing! Thank you so much for the comments on Seth's blog! <3 ~rachel

Sabine said...

You made a really luscious BJP piece there! Will it wait in the bowl while you make the next pieces?

Judy Ferguson said...

I am so glad that you are back to doing your beautiful beaded projects. They are so special.

Robin said...

Oh Anne Marie, how great it is to see your beadwork again! Always your quirky humor and lovely design sense combine to give me such pleasure! I agree totally about the pendants (and different leaf shapes) being not only more practical than a necklace of leaves, but way more fun to make. Your paper bowl is also wonderful, especially the tea bags making a "flower" at the bottom of the inside. I agree about varnish... I've seen it on paper bowls, and although I understand the reason for it, somehow it never seems to fit with the paper. We have the opportunity to take a paper bowl/basket workshop next month... because of seeing yours, I might just sign up for it! Thanks for letting me know you posted these pictures. It was a treat to come here and see them!

Cyndi L said...

We wander away, we wander back! So good to see your lovely work, and I do hope you'll be able to find great joy in your work now that you have more time!

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, everyone!

Sabine, perhaps in another bowl. This one would be too small.

Judy, the needle seems to be pointing me in this direction right now. Of course my mind is pointing me in many other directions at the same time.

Robin,

Oh do take the paper bowl workshop and then tell me all about it. Who's teaching?

Cyndi L,

We do wander about, don't we? But rest assured, we always return to what's closest to our hearts.

pam T said...

oh, you are still here and I am wandering back from an even longer time away! Lovely, lovely art you have been creating. I am sooo hoping there will be a 2014 BJP and will plan to join and hopefully be creative again. :)