Thursday, October 17, 2013

paper collage and paper beads

More paper fodder for your eyes. Yes, I'm still playing with paper, but confess that I'm really getting the urge to crank up the sewing machine again. The postcard almost tempted me off my paper path, but I expect that you'll be seeing a mix of paper, fibre and possibly even beads in the near future. I have some pretty wacky ideas running around in my head, so that bodes well for my creative side. The postcard is my contribution to The Great Big Stitched Postcard swap and I'm trading with Lien in Belgium. I mailed the piece to her naked (no, I wasn't naked, I sent it without an envelope, sillies!). Included in the collage are paper bits from previous swaps (thanks, Ines!), old pattern tissue, vintage lace and used Tetley teabags (the round ones). I used wallpaper paste to glue it all together and it stitches like a dream! Thread sketched 'weeds' were added as a focal point.
Now on to the paper beads! Two batches, both made with the same process. Scrap paper core (1"), topped with small pieces of Gelli printed backgrounds. The green ones seemed a little boring, so they were wrapped with bits of Gelli printed packing tape. I do like the effect and it's a great way to clean your plate (let it dry completely, add the tape and then pull it off)! The dark beads (a mix of black/grey/green/white)have been accented with a middle stripe of silvery Distress Glitter (in Pumice Stone)and then wrapped with Sulky, Sliver thread in dark green. Let me tell you, this mylar thread (? I think that's what it is) is a real pain to stick down, so I don't really recommend it!!!!
Of course you know what all this means, don't you? Now I'll be forced to make something out of all those beads. My work never ends! LOL!! Any ideas?

9 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sorry, no ideas for you, because I'm still trying to recover from the mental image of you dancing into the post office in all your glorious nakedness....

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

You have been busy!!!! Making good use of all that free time.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

MA, get that idea right out of your head. The only thing naked at the post office was the card. LOL for sure!!

Beth, I have been busy, but probably not focusing enough of what I should be doing. However, I'm a lot more relaxed and surprisingly enough, that seems to encourage my creativity.

kaiteM said...

Lovely vintage postcard and good to know that wallpaper paste is easy to stitch.
Fabulous beads and displayed on your gelli prints really shows them off.
Mary Anne she posted the PC naked because it was raining and she didn't want her clothes to get wet - well that's my theory anyway.

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, Kaite! Aged papers have a lovely patina that definitely add to the overall effect. They soften everything! As for the Gelli print display, it seems that I now have an unlimited supply of photogrsphic backgrounds.

Linda Kittmer said...

No ideas for what to do with the beads other than embellish some other piece of creativity, but I do love them...to quote Rainman, "sparkly...very sparkly". LOL

The paper postcard is beautiful. I love the warm vintage colours of the pattern paper, etc.

Rachel Murphree said...

Love the paper postcard. the stitched weeds are beautiful on it. great combo

Anne Marie - Toronto said...

Thanks, Linda and Rachel!

Linda, not really "sparkly", but if I used more glitter, they could be!!! Of course the temptation is there, but I prefer to be just a little more discreet with my glitter.

Rachel, I love my weeds and if you give me a choice of a beautiful flower and a weed, the week will always win. I had fun making this little postcard. I hope my swap partner enjoys it as well.

pam T said...

oh! this. is. gorgeous. I love this paper collage. love love love. Not sure why because usually I need color, but o my. :)